Friday, December 14, 2012

In Response to "What are we so afraid of?"

My colleague Kayce Kutch makes a very valid point on her blog Mondo Deviate within the article titled "What are we so afraid of?" She states that many of the policies and extremes that we have created and will create are ultimately due to the fears that we have at that particular time. This is absolutely correct. Fear is a very normal human characteristic and the number one instinct we have that occurs due to fear is to protect and secure what's ours. 

Would we have created weapons of mass destruction if we did not feel the necessity to have such "protection"? Would we be in a war on terrorism if we did not feel at risk of another attack? Sure, fear is a defense mechanism within human nature, but as Kutch states, "there is a significant difference between a healthy psychological reaction to a realistic threat, and the same exact reaction to a threat that is only perceived." While I don't feel that same way about the stance on fear and the people giving up their rights to feel safe, I do believe that fear gave the people and/or government a certain drive to progress down a certain path than we would have should we not have had such fears.

 I live a pretty calm life and thank God everyday for this fact, but on the rare times I do turn on the news and actually sit down to watch what is going on in the world, it does indeed scare me. The idea that I may get mugged or shot just walking down the street... It's something that crosses my mind each and every time I may go in an area that isn't known to me. While I would love to feel safe in my own home and will vote for those that I believe can "protect" this country, I don't believe I will give up the rights that I deserve. Doesn't one's safety coincide with one's happiness? I shouldn't have to nor feel as if I am giving up bits of my myself and/or freedom to simply feel safe walking down the street. 

I have probably gone of on a complete tangent here and may not have even discussed the same point as my colleague here, but this is ultimately what I thought of when reading her piece. I consider myself to be a pretty big scarredy cat but I am also one to stand up for my beliefs/wants. I don't feel that fear will paralyze me in to giving up my rights just to feel safe but rather give me the motivation for the proper stance in certain areas. 


No comments:

Post a Comment